Interdisciplinary Studies in Three Departments (IS3D) offers pathways for students whose career goals and interests are not addressed by an existing degree program. Students may select one of four pathways:
- Communication and Media — recommended for students with interests in journalism, media studies, and communications. (Plan here.)
- Health and Well Being (ENS) — recommended for students with interests in the health fields. (Plan here.)
- Health and Well Being (PSY) — recommended for students with interests in the health fields. (Plan here.)
- Economics and Business — recommended for students with interests in business. (Plan here.)
- Custom — available only to students declaring the major in their first year at SDSU as freshmen or their first semester as transfer students. For guidance on how to create your custom major, visit this page. To request changes to your custom major, visit the requesting changes page.
To declare your IS3D major:
1. Download and review the plan for the pathway of your choice.
2. Complete a rough draft of your pathway plan, save as a PDF, and send it to [email protected]. Please include your name and Red ID in your email.
3. Make an appointment with the IS3D Advisor to review and finalize your plan and file your change of major form. Use the appointment calendar here. Click on a day to see the full range of available hours for that day as well as a link to sign in for advising.
-----> How to sign in for advising <-----
1. Sign in to SDSU Navigate: https://sdsu.campus.eab.com/
2. Select the blue "Get Assistance" button.
3. Under care unit, select "Academic Advising."
4. For service, select "Major/Minor Exploration/Change" if you are looking to declare the IS3D major. Select "Major Advising" if you have already declared the IS3D major.
5. For location, select "FASS: Transition Advising Center (Undeclared/IS3D)."
6. On the new page, choose "View Drop In Times."
7. Follow the directions on the page that displays.
Need additional help with SDSU Navigate?
Looking for Resources for the Custom Major?